This, the second week of RAWKtober, we continue to celebrate our board of directors who are our RAWKstars this month.
Again, we're thrilled to share about the people who are bringing their expertise to Team RAWK. Their collective vision is powerful and will certainly leave a lasting impact on Kalamazoo. Our board members are our advocates, and devote their time and energies to building our program and maintaining the integrity of our work. With their help we will continue to serve a growing number of students and families. They are true champions of the written word, and will forever be RAWKstars.
This week we're putting our spotlight on Steve Walsh, Karen Trout (RAWK board secretary), and Ryan Gage.
1. Occupation: I have the very good fortune of working for the Vine Neighborhood Association as its executive director.
2. Favorite book: Bomb The Suburbs by Upski
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: Two Neighborhood Liaison Officers in each of the core, contiguous neighborhoods.
4. A word you love: VERVE
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: I feel deeply in harmony with the mission of RAWK, and welcome the opportunity to share my passion for reading with others.
1. Occupation: Librarian and Reading Together Coordinator, Kalamazoo Public Library
2. Favorite book: Yikes ... depends on the day, my mental/emotional state, and so many other variables. But the Harry Potter books rank right up there because I was able to read them to, then with, my kids and I will always treasure that.
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: That it continues to be a place people want to return to.
4. A word you love: Clarity
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: Because I believe in the value of supplementing school learning with creative alternatives that could open new doors for students.
1. Occupation: Librarian
2. Favorite book: Waiting for Godot
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: I wish for Kalamazoo a continuation of its cultural vitality, its enthusiastic embrace of difference and its commitment to reducing obstacles and challenges that limit our community's potential.
4. A word you love: Perhaps
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: To put to material use my knowledge, experience, passion, and skills toward encouraging and supporting the artistic, academic and social development of our community's young voices.