Sometimes we're busy RAWK-ing so much that RAWKtober spills into November. RAWK-vember? Sure! Our board runs deep with wisdom and skill. The shared passion of our board members for our programming to reach the youth of Kalamazoo is nothing short of inspiring. Again, our board members are our advocates, and devote their time and energies to building our program and maintaining the integrity of our work. With their help we will continue to serve a growing number of students and families. They are true champions of the written word, and will forever be RAWKstars.
This week we’re putting our spotlight on Derek Molitor (RAWK board treasurer), Meg Tang, and Peter Brakeman. We've enjoyed sharing about the folks behind the scenes with you, Kalamazoo. If you're interested in getting involved, a great place to start would be our Volunteer Application.
1. Occupation: I'm the janitor at Bookbug. And Co-Owner. Or Caretaker.
2. Favorite book: I get this question often and I still don't have a good answer. One of my all-time favorites is Pale Fire by Nabakov but right now I'm reading a great debut by Garth Risk Hallberg called City on Fire.
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: Better accessibility by bike
4. A word you love: Phlegmatic. It captures how I wish I could feel but rarely do. I wish to be surrounded in phlegmatism. That is not a word. Phlegma?
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: Learning to find and use your voice is one of the most powerful and empowering skills one can cultivate. It's our duty to nurture these skills in all the kids of Kalamazoo and I'm excited to be a part of it.
1. Occupation: Goldsmith and jewelry designer, Teaching Artist for Education for the Arts
2. Favorite book: Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: My wish for Kalamazoo is that we continue to support the arts and local business/non-profits and that, in turn, fosters growth and diversity and builds an artful and connected community.
4. A word you love: Ellipse — it's a shape, line, and movement
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: Every community deserves a reading and writing program like RAWK that supplements the schools and serves students of all backgrounds equally. I'm proud to be a part of a driven, enthusiastic group that is doing wonderful work!
1. Occupation: graphic designer
2. Favorite book: When We Were Very Young; A. A. Milne
3. A wish for Kalamazoo: That no one goes hungry, so that all can pursue deeper hungers.
4. A word you love: intention
5. Why you’re excited to be serving on RAWK’s board of directors: This is an organization that is DOING; it is getting it done, at the fundamental, one-on-one level. That is always inspiring, and I'm proud to be associated with RAWK.